Rest in Stygian is the most effective method by which the player character and their party members can replenish lost Health and Sanity. Rest can also be used to prevent or alleviate Exhaustion, research valuable crafting blueprints, and learn more about occult items.
How To Rest[edit | edit source]
Characters are able to rest at either the Old Eel Attic or at a Campfire. (Characters also have the option to rest following a random encounter while travelling in the Wilderness).
- The Old Eel Attic: The character can speak with Marino, bartender of the Old Eel, and rent the attic for 40 Cigs. However, the attic may not always be available to the character as it is in high demand. If occupied, the character will need to rest at a Campfire.
- Campfires: The character can rest at any discovered Campfires so long as they have a set of Camping Supplies. Each rest performed at a Campfire (or in the Wilderness) requires one set of Camping Supplies to execute.
Rest activities[edit | edit source]
Rest includes both the time the character sleeps and the idle time beforehand, allowing for a number of useful rest activities. The Rest Activities available to a character are directly associated with their known skills. Each character is provided with five Rest Points when rest is initiated (not unlike Action Points), which are used to determine what rest activities are performed:
- Gambling: The character takes part in a gambling session in a suitable rest area, gaining Cigs in the process. If things go right. (Related Skill: Subterfuge)
- Keep Watch: The character stays awake and alert to possible dangers. Decreases the encounter chance while resting in Danger Areas. (Related Skill: Survival)
- Medical Research: The character searches for a formula by examining medical components in the inventory. (Related Skill: Medicine Medical Research Blueprint Chart)
- Medical Treatment: The character provides medical treatment to herself or a companion, raising the health of the target. (Requires Doctor's Bag. Related Skill: Medicine)
- Occult Research: The character studies a chosen tome, manuscript or artifact to gain more insight on the forbidden arts. Occult research is used for learning new spells along with identifying the powers and maledictions of artifacts. (Related Skill: Occult)
- Physical Exercise: The character performs a series of physical exercises to improve physical endurance and ease the mind until next rest. (Related Skill: Athletics)
- Pray: The character prays to the God of her faith, raising the sanity of the character. (Requires a religious item. Related Belief System: Divine)
- Psychological Treatment: The character provides therapy to a mentally disturbed companion, raising the sanity of the target. (Related Skill: Psychology)
- Read: The character reads a book or other publication in relation with her belief system, raising the sanity of the character. (Requires a book.)
- Reconnaissance: The character investigates the area to find the best spot to camp, providing a tactical advantage should the party get attacked. (Related Skill: Investigation)
- Rest More: The character spends her remaining idle time by resting more, gaining additional health and sanity points.
- Scientific Research: The character searches for a blueprint by examining science related crafting components in the inventory. (Related Skill: Science Scientific Research Blueprint Chart)
- Scout: The character scouts the surrounding area for an escape route in case of ambush. The progression escape route will be opened more easily should the party get attacked. (Related Skill: Stealth)
- Socialize: The character spends her time socializing with a companion, increasing the sanity of both party members. (Related Skill: Speechcraft)
- Weapon Maintenance: The character performs maintenance on a weapon to improve its performance until the next rest. (Related Skill: Firearms or Melee)
Interrupted Rest[edit | edit source]
Rest at a Campfire or out in the Wilderness may be interrupted, in which case the character will automatically enter into combat. The Old Eel Attic is the only rest spot from which there is no risk of being interrupted. Rest Activities, such as Keep Watch or Scout, can be performed to minimize your party’s risk of being interrupted.